Graeme Cree's Witness bugs page
- In version 13, you can GET IN just about any object, with numerous buggy
results. You can GET IN CARVED CHAIR without Mr. Linder complaining, and thus
be sharing the chair with him when he's shot. If you GET IN something you're
carrying, then any reference to yourself asks which one you mean. If you GET
IN ME, you can DROP ME. If you GET IN something after meeting Linder but
before he takes you to the office, he follows you into it. When it's time to
go to the office, he takes you out of whatever you're in. The possibilities
- In version 13, you can GO THROUGH OFFICE DOOR to leave the office before
- In version 13, if you drop the handcuffs then you can't pick them back
up. You're told, "You shouldn't release a suspect until your work is finished
- In version 13, if you're not holding the handcuffs, but the clock key is
present, then TIE MONICA TO LOUNGE says, "(with the clock key) She puts up a
struggle, but you manage to do it." It also works with the set of house keys.
If you don't have any of those things, then TIE MONICA TO LOUNGE says, "There's
nothing to tie her with!", but she still gets tied up. The room description then
includes, "Monica is fastened to the lounge with the ." Then UNTIE MONICA says,
"Monica rubs her wrists as you take the . She refuses to look at you."
- In version 13, if you're not in the office when Phong responds to
Monica's ring, then you ring for him somewhere, when he gets to you, Monica says
she was testing the wiring even if she's not there.
- In version 13, if you ARREST an inanimate object, but not FOR anything,
you get a gibberish message.
- In version 13, if you ASK DUFFY ABOUT CORONER after he comes back, he
still says he's called them and they're coming.
- In version 13, when you're outside, LOOK DOWN says, "There's mud there,
mostly.", even if you're on the paved peastone driveway or the small wooden deck
outside Linder's office.
- In version 13, GET something FROM MONICA that is in sight but not in either
of your inventories responds, "He doesn't have it!".
- In versions 13 and 18, you can get the chunk of putty or the piece of green
wire before the window is broken, using EAT, READ, or LIGHT.
- In versions 13 and 18, if you have the handcuffs and HANDCUFF MONICA where
there's nothing suitable to handcuff her to, you get the message, "There's nothing
to handcuff her to!" You still have the handcuffs, and she still moves around freely,
but her state has changed somehow. After that, HANDCUFF MONICA says, "She's already
fastened with the pair of handcuffs." If you drop the handcuffs and try to pick them
back up you get, "She's not even tied up!".
- In versions 13 and 18, you can push the butler's button while sitting in
the carved chair, but only until Monica rewires it. After that you're told, "You'd
do a much better job if you stood up."
- In versions 13 and 18, in the kitchen, GET MIXER AND TOASTER gives no
response. Several other pairs of untakeable objects do the same.
- In versions 13 and 18, there is an error in the message for asking an
inanimate object about an absent person. ASK TELEGRAM ABOUT MONICA says, "Monica
can't hear you." Later versions say, "telegram can't hear you."
- In versions 13 through 20, EXAMINE WINDOW gives the same description
(including the white wires and electric relay) whether you're inside or
outside the house, but EXAMINE WHITE WIRE says, "There's no wire here." when
- In versions 18 and up, you can GET CUFFS when you're already holding
them. Each time you get the response, "You are now carrying the pair of handcuffs."
- In versions 18 and up, in the rock garden, OPEN ROCKS says, "It's already open."
- All versions have a serious bug in the use of IT. You can interact with
objects you haven't even seen yet, using IT. For example, you can EXAMINE
LIQUOR CABINET THEN OPEN IT, or FIND MYSTERY THEN READ IT from anywhere in the
game. Another interesting thing to do is EXAMINE WOODEN CHAIR THEN SIT IN IT
on the first turn. This doesn't get you inside the house, but Mr. Linder tells
you his story and hands you the threatening note.
- In all versions, although you can't GET objects inside a closed container,
you can do just about anything else to them, as if they were visible in the
room. If they're otherwise takeable, then you can even pick them up using EAT,
READ, or LIGHT.
- In all versions, the dresser in Linder's bedroom can be closed, but not
- In all versions, if you PUT something ON BED in Monica's or Phong's room,
it's gone forever, unless you remove it using IT right after. If you LOOK ON
BED, you see everything you've put on either of these beds. PUT something IN
TUB has the same problem. If you PUT something IN CLOCK, it's just gone; you
can't even see it using LOOK IN CLOCK.
- In all versions, HANDCUFF MONICA TO something puts the cuffs in it. So if
you HANDCUFF MONICA TO CABINET THEN OPEN CABINET, you "see a pair of
handcuffs" inside it. HANDCUFF MONICA TO CLOCK or BED makes the cuffs
disappear. After you do this, UNTIE MONICA picks them back up, but they don't
show in your inventory. If they're the only thing you're holding, INVENTORY
gives no output. If you DROP them they don't show in the room description, and
you can't pick them up again.
- In all versions, a number of unexpected objects can be locked and unlocked.
These include the mystery book, refrigerator, bathtub, dresser, and cupboard.
- In all versions, if you try to LOCK or UNLOCK anything in the presence of
the living Linder, he says, "Don't leave yet. We're just getting started."
- In all versions, if you KNOCK ON a DOOR with someone on the other side, you
get, "Someone shouts, "Go to the front door!"", unless it's the front door. In
that case you get, "A muffled voice says, "Come in!"". This even works if you
KNOCK ON FRONT DOOR from Entry when someone's on the porch, or if you KNOCK ON
TOILET DOOR when Monica's in the toilet room.
- In all versions, you can TELL anything visible ABOUT something, producing
such responses as, "grandfather clock lets out a loud yawn.", or "broom
appears to be getting impatient." You can also ASK anything visible ABOUT
something nonexistent such as GREEN KEY or something not in the game yet such
as TICKET, producing such responses as, "bed looks confused. "I don't know
anything about any ticket!"".
- In all versions, you can ASK any character FOR DRINK or CIGARETTE at any
time, whether present or not. You can even ASK MR. LINDER FOR CIGARETTE when
he's dead, and he smokes with you.
- In all versions, you can EXAMINE CIGARETTE anywhere. You get, "All you can
see is an ashtray full of butts."
- In all versions, some commands can't act on the room you're in, For example,
in the kitchen, CLEAN KITCHEN says, "(You can't see any kitchen here!)".
- In all versions, the message saying you can't use multiple direct objects
gets screwed up by disambiguation. For example, if you've found the powder and have
all three guns, ANALYZE POWDER AND GUN asks, "(Which powder and gun do you mean, the
hidden handgun, the muddy handgun, or the snub-nosed Colt?)". Answering HIDDEN gives,
"(You can't use multiple direct objects with "hidden"!)". Answering MUDDY says,
"(You can't use multiple direct objects with "muddye"!)".
<< Back to index
Page last updated
List maintainer: Nathan Simpson