Graeme Cree's Spellbreaker bugs page
- In version 63, if you are in the zipper while the Oubliette is filling
with water, then the zipper gets removed from the game, so when you get back
out of the zipper, you're nowhere. This can cause a lockup or other crash.
- In version 63, PUT ME IN HYPERCUBE says, "You push yourself into the
hypercube, where it hangs unsupported."
- In version 63, at Outer Vault, you can put the carpet in one of the
piles. If you get on the carpet then get off, you're stuck in a location
called "first pile" or "second pile" with no description.
- In version 63, you can ESPNIS SHADOW after casting GIRGOL, and the
shadow will freeze you even though time is stopped.
- In version 63, you can animate objects with MALYON even while time is
stopped by GIRGOL.
- In version 63, if you LISKON the weed and put it in the bottle, then
you can continue to carry it around after it returns to its giant size.
- In version 63, if you BLORPLE a cube while you're in the zipper or on
the carpet in Midair, then the object you're in is left in Midair. In version
87, it's moved to Wilderness.
- In version 63, it's possible to get stuck on the carpet while flying. If you
discover the label before flying, then CUT the label while you're flying,
then you can no longer move the carpet around, but it stays in the air.
- In version 63, if you're in the closed zipper, GET OUT says, "That's
- In version 63, if you're inside the open zipper at Ruins Room, then
GET IN CHANNEL says, "You already are."
- In version 63, there is a bug in the way you are prevented from
interrupting the Guildmasters' meeting. For example, if you SAY "HI" on the
first turn, first Orkan quiets you, then Sneffle speaks, then you get the error
message "You forgot a second quote."
- In version 63, OPEN CARPET says, "It's already open."
- In version 63, at Carving Room, REZROV CARVING says, "It's already open."
- In version 63, DROP something ON GROUND says, "I don't think that the
[object] is going to sprout."
- In version 63, if you're in the second cabinet with the door closed and nothing
else in there, then REZROV CABINET says, "The cabinet bursts open, revealing !"
- In version 63, at Octagonal Room, the hole is openable and closeable.
Before you've removed the plug, REZROV HOLE just opens it. After you've removed
the plug, REZROV HOLE repeats the process of removing the plug, each time telling
you the alabaster "melts away".
- In version 87, after you have removed the alabaster plug, you can CLOSE
HOLE. You can still OPEN HOLE, but it does no good; when you try to go west you
get the message about sliding through the hole and it disappearing, followed by
"The octagonal hole is closed." You stay where you are.
- In both versions, if you FILL or EXTINGUISH something you're not carrying,
or BREAK something WITH it, you pick it up. You can use this to pick up things
you can't see, such as when you're in the orange smoke or the zipper. If you
FILL ZIPPER, EXTINGUISH ZIPPER, or BREAK something WITH ZIPPER when you're in
it, you get, "(Taking the zipper first)", and the program locks up. You can do
the same things with the carpet while standing on it.
- In both versions, at Volcano Base, you can TOUCH LAVA WITH CARPET while
you're on the carpet, burning up the carpet and producing the same problem as
cutting it in version 63.
- In both versions, you can DROP spells from your spellbook in Midair. You
can even drop them all at once using EMPTY BOOK.
- In both versions, you can leave things suspended in Midair, if you THROW
them AT something while you're falling before the roc grabs you. Anytime you
go back to Midair, the object is still there.
- In both versions, when you are falling in Midair, entering the zipper
will prevent the roc from catching you, but you will die when you hit the
ground; if you go back to Midair after resurrecting, the zipper floats in the
air right next to you. --Esa Peuha
- In both versions, if you LISKON the weed, put it in the bottle, and
close the bottle, then you can PLANT WEED without opening the bottle.
- In both versions, it's possible to get into the bottle. For some reason,
the zipper fits inside the bottle. So drop the bottle, put the zipper in the bottle,
and the carpet in the zipper. Get on the carpet, then GET OUT OF ZIPPER. The status
line says you are in "bottle". Pick up the zipper, then LOOK responds with only
blank lines. It seems BLORPLE is the only way out. Anything you drop is left in the
bottle; this is probably the only way to put the carpet in the bottle.
- In both versions, at Outer Vault, the piles are closeable, openable
containers. You can't do anything with the contents of a closed pile.
- In both versions, if you cut the weed when you first find it, then
drop the cutting somewhere, trying to pick it back up "pulls it out of the
ground" as if it were planted.
- In both versions, you can put things in the idol's mouth from the
ground, even though you can't reach to get anything out without climbing up.
- In both versions, if you EMPTY BOX before opening it, you get,
"cube: The gold box is closed.", even though you don't know there's a cube in
- In both versions, COUNT CUBES behaves strangely. If all cubes present
are inside closed containers, you're told you can't see any. If at least one
cube is visible, then you get the full count of cubes on your person, even
including the one in the gold box before you've opened it.
- In both versions, if you fall asleep (from exhaustion, not voluntarily)
while the roc is taking you back to its nest, then you get the message, "You
fall asleep and then awaken as you and The roc are eaten by a roc chick."
- In both versions, if a container is sitting on the carpet, and you GET it
FROM CARPET you get, "Taken, but something fell off." The contents are now on
the floor, whether the container is open or closed.
- In both versions, you can PLANT WEED when it's already planted, even
when you first find it.
- In both versions, when you get inside the zipper, it seems you're not
really there. In version 63, if the zipper is open, EXAMINE ME gives a
description of yourself, but if it's closed, you get, "That's outside." In
version 87, you get, "That's not in here!", whether the zipper is open or
- In both versions, if you stand on the carpet inside the zipper then you can
see the room outside the zipper and you get the normal room description. If
you DROP things they land on the carpet, but you can only see and interact
with the carpet or things on it if the zipper is open. You can GET OUT OF
ZIPPER even if it's closed.
- In both versions, at Volcano Base, you can TOUCH LAVA WITH almost anything,
producing such messages as, "yourself hisses and sizzles when you touch the
lava with it." TOUCH LAVA WITH a spell says, "The scroll is wet, and the
spell cannot be read."
- In both versions, after you've gotten the carpet, if you say WHERE IS THE
CARPET when you can't see it you get, "Your obvious eagerness to do business
is matched only by your boorish manners.", as if you were talking to the
merchant. This happens because the game interpets CARPET by default as the red
one, which the merchant still has. In fact, this doesn't work if you leave
Emporium with the red one; you have to say WHERE IS THE BLUE CARPET.
- In both versions, although you can cut the weed with either the knife
or the shears, CUT WEED WITH BURIN says, "Strange concept, cutting a weed."
A similar thing happens if you try to cut the bread or fish with the shears or
- In both versions, UNLOCK CABINET WITH KEY just says, "Unlocked.", whether
or not it already is.
<< Back to index
Page last updated
List maintainer: Nathan Simpson