Graeme Cree's Plundered Hearts bugs page
- PUT BOTTLE IN BOTTLE or POWDER HORN crashes the interpreter. Frotz exits
with, "Fatal error: Stack overflow".
- In Cabin or Captain's Quarters, you can PUT anything visible (except ME or
RETICULE) UNDER BED: WEST, WINDOW, AIR, CHEMISE, etc. You get, "You do so, but
the ship rolls to one side and [object] rolls out." You can even do this with
your body parts: HAND, EYES, HEAD, or MOUTH. Some objects show in the room
description after you do this, and some don't. Your hand doesn't show, but
your other parts do. If you PUT EYES UNDER BED once in Cabin and once in
Captain's Quarters, then the second time you actually move Lafond into the
room. If you PUT RAPIER UNDER BED in Captain's Quarters, then you can take it
after Jamison leaves, although it doesn't show in the room description.
- Here are a couple more ways to lose your hand. If you THROW HAND AT CROC
you get, "The crocodile snaps its jaws shut as your hand disappears into the
pool." If you ATTACK LAFOND WITH HAND, then he takes it away from you. "Let
that be a warning to you, my love."
- There are at least two ways to get rid of your reticule. If you PUT
RETICULE IN RUM (or WATER) at Main Deck, the reticule disappears into the
barrel. If you PUT RETICULE IN MANACLES, it falls to the floor and you can't
pick it up.
- At Forecastle and Galley, there's a "shack" object representing
the galley where Cookie is, but it's an openable, closable container that
doesn't contain the contents of the Galley location. If you PUT things IN
SHACK then you can't get them back.
- You can EXAMINE COFFER, or use a number of other verbs on it, before you've
- Aboard the Lafond Deux, THROW something OVERBOARD says, "One normally tries
this on a boat."
- When Jamison offers you protection or Lafond asks you to dance, SIT ON
anything is treated as an affirmative response.
- RIP SLIPPERS says, "You can't bring yourself to ruin the linen chemise."
- PUT something IN CUPBOARD says, "You'll have to get in the large cupboard
to do that.", even if you're in it.
- If you READ INVITATION a second time you see the contents of the invitation
followed by, "You can't read an invitation!".
- GET IN CASK produces, "You crawl into the cask, feeling a slab of something
stuck on the bottom.", even if you've already gotten the slab of pork.
- You can CUT THE ROPE with the dagger even if it's in your closed
- The skiff is closable. If you CLOSE SKIFF, you still see all its contents,
and can interact with them in many ways other than taking them. The ledge at
Captain's Quarters is also an openable, closable container, whose contents you
can see when it's closed.
- SIT ON SEA gives, "The cool water runs through your fingers.", even in
places where you can't otherwise interact with the sea, such as on the bed in
- In Library, you can PUT things IN KNOB. You can't get them back, but
you can see them if you EXAMINE KNOB or LOOK IN KNOB. The rigging on the
Helena Louise is a container that behaves similarly.
- In Library or Lafond's Bedroom, BURN DRAPES says, "You have no source
of fire. In an instant, the drapes is consumed by fire." The drapes are still
there. You get a similar response to BURN ROPE at Gallery, but the rope
- In Dungeon, you can PUT things IN TRAPDOOR when it's closed.
- In Lafond's room, although your goblet is said to be "brimming with wine",
the only wine is in the flagon. If you DROP WINE or THROW WINE you get,
"You're not holding the quantity of wine.". EMPTY MY CUP and REACH IN MY CUP
both tell you it contains nothing. If the flagon is closed or not in the room,
then you can't interact with the wine. You can't even DRINK WINE. In contrast,
you can DRINK WINE in the same room as the open flagon even if your full cup
is in your closed reticule.
- When Lafond is waiting for you to drink the wine, if you DROP MY CUP then
DRINK WINE you get, "You're not holding a goblet of wine!", but apparently you
drink the wine anyway. Lafond praises you, and your goblet is no longer full.
This only works once.
- You can only POUR WINE IN MY CUP in the presence of the open flagon, but
you can FILL MY CUP anywhere, as long as you're holding your cup.
- FILL MY CUP WITH anything visible fills it with wine.
- DRINK FROM BOTTLE says, "You squeeze three colorless drops into the
[garbage]." You suffer no ill effects.
- When you blow the spices at Lafond, he upsets the table, breaking a glass.
It's always his goblet that's destroyed, even if yours is on the table and
his isn't. You can PUT HIS CUP ON BED, or you can even be holding the closed
flagon with his goblet inside, and it still gets destroyed.
- If you're holding the tray you can DROP SPICES. The spices don't show in
the room description, but you can interact with them at that location. After
you do this, EXAMINE SPICES says, "It is empty."
- If you're holding the tray you can DROP CHICKEN. The "cold chicken" shows
in the room description, but you can't pick it up. GET CHICKEN produces the
same message as EAT CHICKEN: "You sprinkle some spices on a wing and nibble at
it...", even if there are no spices in the room.
- On the final turn after Lafond leads you over to the bed, you can
WEAR any takeable object in sight. Thus you can suffer "a fate worse than
death" while dressed!
- If you WAVE something in your inventory, you get, "You wave
[object] in the air.", but it repeats your input exactly, without inserting an
article or adjective. For example, WAVE RETICULATEDPYTHON says, "You wave
reticulatedpython in the air."
<< Back to index
Page last updated
List maintainer: Nathan Simpson