Graeme Cree's Lurking Horror bugs page
- In all versions, when you're on the Great Dome or Skyscraper Roof, you can
THROW ME or parts of your body OFF ROOF, including HANDS, FEET, HEAD, and EYES.
You get, "[whatever] disappears over the south edge of the building."
- In all versions, you can THROW ME or parts of your body AT HACKER,
URCHIN, MAN, or SHAPE, dropping these things on the floor.
- In all versions, you can take the keyring away from the hacker, using WEAR
KEYS, FILL KEYS, or BREAK something WITH KEYS. Now all you have to do is ASK
HACKER ABOUT KEYS to make the master key appear, and the key problem is
solved. If you ever drop the keyring you can't simply pick it back up; the
hacker stops you, wherever you are. You have to use one of those other verbs.
- In all versions, when you're wearing the gloves, boots, or brass
hyrax, you can PUT them IN open objects they wouldn't fit in otherwise,
including such non-containers as the lock or a door (where you lose them
- In all versions, POUR COLD LIQUID ON CHAIR destroys it, even if you're
sitting on it. You're still considered to be sitting on it, but it's not there
anymore. Anything you DROP lands on the chair and is gone forever, but the room
description continues to include, "Sitting on the chair is [whatever]." If
you're sitting in the nonexistent chair, then moving in a compass direction
says, "First, you arise from the chair.", but you really don't.
- In all versions, if you destroy the manhole cover with the cold
liquid, then CLOSE HOLE makes the cover reappear.
- In all versions, if you destroy the ladder with the cold liquid while
it's set up, then you can still go up or down with its help, and the ladder
reappears at your destination.
- In all versions, if you destroy the bronze plug with the cold liquid
while it's plugging the hole, then there's no way to make the hole appear.
- In all versions, if you destroy the crowbar with the cold liquid
while it's wedging the elevator door open, then the door stays open.
- In all versions, you can destroy the axe with the cold liquid without
breaking the glass on the cabinet.
- In all versions, the tub of dirt at Inside Dome is closable. You can
find the hand when the tub's closed, but you can't interact with the hand
until you OPEN TUB.
- In all versions, when you go down from Tomb into Steam Tunnel you can CLOSE
HATCH, but then you can't OPEN HATCH or otherwise interact with it.
- In all versions, POUR something ON a pourable liquid appears to confuse the
parser. If you POUR something ON WAX you get, "There is no more wax to pour."
POUR something ON COLD LIQUID responds as if the cold liquid were being poured
on itself; it "freezes and shatters", etc.
- In all versions, POUR COLD LIQUID ON FLASK says, "That would be a good
trick.", but the liquid disappears anyway.
- In all versions, you can EMPTY FLASK when it's closed.
- In all versions, if you're wearing the brass hyrax under the gloves,
you can't REMOVE HYRAX but you can DROP HYRAX.
- In all versions, if the elevator doors are wedged open with the crowbar,
you can pick up the bar without the doors closing, using WEAR BAR, FILL BAR,
or BREAK something WITH BAR. When the doors are open this way, the room
description doesn't show anything you would normally see through the doors.
This doesn't work with the axe in place of the crowbar.
- In all versions, if the open flask is on the floor, you can pick up the
cold liquid using WEAR LIQUID, FILL LIQUID, or BREAK something WITH LIQUID.
- In all versions, the cylindrical hole is closable. If you CLOSE HOLE THEN
PUT PLUG IN HOLE THEN GET PLUG, then you are told the hole is empty, true or
- In all versions, PUT things ON CHAIR or FORKLIFT says, "There's no room.",
but you can do the same thing using DROP while sitting in them. If you're
sitting in the forklift, trying to GET anything says, "You can't reach the
[object] from within the forklift.", even if it's in there with you!
- In all versions, if the chain is tied to the hook at Basement, you can
use the forklift to move the chain away. Then you can carry the chain around
normally in non-elevator rooms, but the chain stays tied to the hook.
- In all versions, before you ASK HACKER ABOUT KEYS, the master key is
omnipresent. For example, you can EXAMINE MASTER KEY anywhere.
- In all versions, when the manhole is open, OPEN MANHOLE produces no
- In all versions, there's an error in the message you get for trying to PUT
a container IN its contents. For example, PUT CARTON IN FOOD produces, "You
should take the Chinese food out the cardboard carton first."
- In all versions, when you tie the chain to the hook then close the door,
the chain doesn't show in the room description, although it's there.
- In all versions, if you climb on the wires in Steam Tunnel, then you have
one turn before "your grip loosens and you drop to the floor." This message
is displayed even when it doesn't make sense, such as if you let go
deliberately or go up to Tomb.
- In all versions, if you're carrying the smooth stone, you can DROP
SYMBOL or THROW SYMBOL.
- In all versions, going up the ladder says, "You scramble up ladder."
<< Back to index
Page last updated
List maintainer: Nathan Simpson