Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Graeme Cree's HHGG bugs page
- In version 47, you can get the plotter out of the case using READ PLOTTER,
LOCK something WITH PLOTTER, or BREAK something WITH PLOTTER. Now it's in your
- In version 47, when you're sitting in the pilot's seat aboard the
presidential speedboat, anything you DROP lands on the seat. It still shows in
the room description, but you can no longer interact with it.
- In version 47, PUT PEANUTS IN a container says, "How can you do that?".
- In version 47, you can EAT SANDWICH without having bought it.
- In version 47, if you DROP TEA in Access Space, then it stays there
instead of disappearing.
- In version 47, you can PLUG either plug IN something it's already
- In version 47, if you crash into the cliffs as Zaphod after opening
the toolbox, then come back, the toolbox is still open.
- In version 47, PLUG or PUT DRIVE IN a receptacle or ATTACH DRIVE says,
"In case you hadn't noticed, there are two connections leading from the spare
Improbability Drive...", even if you've already burned away the large plug.
- In version 47, if you give the guard a command in Vogon Hold, you can
understand his reply of, "Resistance is useless!", without the babel fish.
- In versions 47 and 56, you can get the plotter out of the case using HANG
PLOTTER ON HOOK. You get the response, "It slips off the hook." Now it's
sitting on the deck, where you can pick it up.
- In versions 47 and 56, PICK UP is treated differently from GET. In
particular, PICK UP ALL tries to take numerous untakeable scenery objects that
are ignored by GET ALL, such as the "name" object.
- In versions 47 through 58, while you are Zaphod, WHERE IS PHIL crashes the
interpreter. The Infocom interpreter exits with no error message, but Frotz
says, "Fatal error: Stack overflow".
- In the Solid Gold version, you can interact with the bulldozer driver in
several extraterrestrial locations, including Captain's Quarters, Bridge, and
- In all versions, while aboard the presidential speedboat, you can
PUT body parts IN WATER. The response is, "Glub...", and your body part
- In all versions, you can use the satchel to disconnect the "long, dangly
bit" from the atomic vector plotter. With the satchel on the floor, just PUT
BIT ON SATCHEL THEN GET SATCHEL. Now the bit is there on the floor, and won't
move when you remove the plotter. If you try to GET BIT you get, "You can't
-- the long, dangly bit is an integral part of the [name of the room]." PUT
BIT ON SATCHEL even works before you've opened the case. You can do the same
with the large and small plugs from the spare Drive.
- In all versions, you can use the thing your aunt gave you to separate the
cup, plotter, and/or drive without disconnecting them. For example, if they're
all properly connected and on the floor, and the thing is also there, then you
can PUT PLOTTER IN THING THEN PUT BIT IN CUP and then go somewhere else and
wait. As always, the thing will come to you after a while, with the plotter in
it. If you GET PLOTTER THEN DROP IT, the room description shows that it's
still connected to the drive and the bit is dangling in the cup--even though
those things are in another room.
- In all versions, if you PUT something ON SATCHEL in Vogon Hold after
getting the babel fish, and leave it there, then when Ford leaves the satchel
on Bridge, the room description tells you the object is on the satchel, but it
isn't actually present until you GET SATCHEL.
- In all versions, if you PUT something ON SATCHEL THEN READ SATCHEL, you
pick up the satchel without removing the object from it. If you go somewhere
else and DROP SATCHEL, then the room description there tells you what's on the
satchel, but that object isn't there unless you GET SATCHEL. It's still in the
room where you got the satchel. It doesn't show in the room description there,
but you can interact with it normally, even GET it.
- In all versions, if you haven't taken the dressing gown yet, then
WEAR SLEEVE picks up and puts on the gown, but it's invisible. If you cure
your headache while the gown is invisible, then dropping it and picking it up
won't make it visible.
- In all versions, if you DROP TEA in Maze, then it stays there instead
- In all versions, in Vogon Hold, when you have the babel fish you can
BLOCK PANEL WITH FISH, although the game stops you from getting rid of it in
other ways. Attempts to pick it back up are treated as attempts to remove it
from your ear.
- In all versions, you can't exit your house with the door closed, but
you can enter it.
- In all versions, you can BRUSH TEETH when you're holding the
toothbrush inside a closed container.
- In all versions, PUT PLOTTER IN CASE claims, "There's no room.", although
you just took the plotter out of the case!
- In all versions, if you're wearing your dressing gown, TIE GOWN says,
"You'll have to remove it first." If you then say REMOVE IT you get, "You are
already wearing it."
<< Back to index
Page last updated
List maintainer: Nathan Simpson